What is homeopathy?
Homeopathy – a method of treating disease with small amounts of remedies that, in large amounts in healthy people, produce symptoms similar to those being treated.
It is an effective system of healing which assists the natural tendency of the body to heal itself. Symptoms of ill health are expressions of disharmony within the body and that it is sometimes the patient who needs treatment, not the disease.
Homeopathy assists in treating the cause of the problem, and not just the symptoms. Example: you have headaches, a painkiller will relieve the pain for a short period, but the headache will return. With homeopathy, the minute doses of medication will treat the cause of the headache (eg: sinus) and help alleviate the problem.
What is treating “like with like”?
Take for example a case of insomnia. The way of opposites is to treat this by giving a drug to bring on an artificial sleep. This frequently involves the use of large or regular doses of drugs which can sometimes cause side effects or addiction.
The law of similars, the homeopathic way, is to give the patient a minute dose of a substance, such as coffee, which in large doses causes sleeplessness in a healthy person. This can then help the patient to sleep naturally. Of course, this is a simplified example. Homeopathy is patient-centred and a homeopath will prescribe based on the totality of your symptoms and how you, as an individual experience them. This also takes account of you as a person – your individual characteristics, both emotional and physical
The positive aspects of homeopathy
Homeopathic medicines are generally safe for the whole family to use, from babies to the elderly, as there are no known side effects as with conventional medicine.
At times patients are not satisfied with conventional medicine, and move over to homeopathy.
General tips of homeopathy
• Homeopathic medicines come in various forms: tablets, liquids, powders and syrups
• Liquids may be diluted in small amounts of water
• Tablets may be crushed for infants Ideally absorbed through the mucous membranes of the mouth, and it is advised to avoid strong flavourants like mint, toothpaste, tobacco, garlic etc prior to taking the medication
• Always follow the dosage directions
• Store in a cool, dry, dark place away from direct sunlight
• Store away from strong smells
• Avoid holding the tablets for too long
• Homeopathic medicines can be used while taking conventional medication, but ensure all practitioners are aware of all products
• Generally safe for the whole family (including pets). Adhere to warnings (eg lactose and alcohol intolerances)